Handheld Addict

PS VitaPSPPSPgoWii3DSDS LiteXboxGame Boy Micromp3 playersMobileGadgetsgeneral

Monday, April 20, 2009

PSP Update 5.50 coming soon


A new PSP firmware update is coming soon!

From the PS Blog:

Hi everyone, the next system software update (v5.50) for PSP (PlayStation Portable) will be available soon, and I wanted to provide you all with a preview of some of the key features.

The firmware update will introduce an Information Board on the PSP system’s XMB (XrossMediaBar) interface. Those of you who have a PLAYSTATION 3 (PS3) may be familiar with this feature, which displays news and updates from the world of PlayStation in a scrolling ticker in the upper right-hand corner of your TV screen. Now you’ll be able to read up-to-date information about upcoming games, new content available on PlayStation Store, and other news right on your PSP whenever you’re at a wireless Internet hotspot.

In addition, we’ll be adding a few more enhancements with the 5.50 update:

  • Memory Stick improvements – You’ll be able to create and access sub-folders on your Memory Stick PRO Duo for music, videos and photos. Separately, the available space required to download a file from PlayStation Store to your Memory Stick has been reduced significantly.
  • Internet search for games directly from the XMB – You’ll be able to easily search the Internet for information about your PSP games. Select the icon for the game, hit the Triangle button, and then select [Internet Search] from the options menu to get search results based on the game title. This feature was added to PS3 with the recent 2.70 update.
  • Trend Micro trial – PSP’s Internet browser is a great tool for checking out your favorite Web sites on the go, and we’re teaming up with the Internet security experts at Trend Micro to make the Web browsing experience safer and more secure. With the 5.50 update, you’ll have the option to access a free trial of two Trend Micro services:
    1. Trend Micro Web Security uses Web reputation technology to block PSP owners from accidentally visiting a Web site that may contain malicious content designed to steal personal information and confidential data.
      Trend Micro Kids’ Safety uses URL filtering technology to prevent children from accessing Web sites that feature inappropriate content.



Hmmm, have I written a post about a PSP update yet? I don't think so... I did update 2 of my PSPs to firmware 5.03, because I knew I was going to buy/play Loco Roco 2. But 5.03's been out for awhile.... there hasn't been a new update for a long time.

I know that this whole updating firmware thing got started as Sony's attempt to curb homebrew & piracy on the PSP. But I *really hate* that Sony FORCES US to update our PSP in order to play a LEGALLY BOUGHT & OWNED game. I don't use Homebrew or pirate games, but I also don't want to have to update my PSP every month or whatever just to play the latest game that I buy.

Even if I do everything right, I update on a full battery, with the AC adapter plugged in, etc... there's ALWAYS a chance that the update will brick my PSP. Yes, it may be a slim chance, but there's always that chance. And Sony expects us to update all the time??? That's like having to re-install Windows every month. If Microsoft forced that, it wouldn't be long before the mobs waving torches showed up at their door.

There are firmware updates on Wii games as well, and they seem to be as plentiful as the early PSP updates. but at least they give you an option NOT to update if you don't want to. You don't have to update just to play the game on the disc.

Okay, that's my little rant about firmware updates out of the way....

After all that, maybe this makes me sound like a hypocrite, but I am mildly excited about this new 5.50 PSP update. Well, there's one feature that sounds really good: You’ll be able to create and access sub-folders on your Memory Stick PRO Duo for music, videos and photos.



That's a feature we've wanted for a LONG time..... people wanted it especially for music; to be able to group folders by artist/band, then put individual albums in... could be cool.

And it will be nice for people who download PS Store games onto their PSP, that they don't have to have double the space needed for the game.



Every firmware I desperately pray that they don't BREAK features that were already there. Music playback coming out of sleep mode was adversly affected with 2.80. Luckily it seemed to be fixed by 3.00. But I'm worried that any tweaking of the video functions in new firmware will wreck the playback of my current videos. That's why I'm reluctant to update.

Ever since I learned my lesson with 2.80, I usually don't update right away. I'll wait & see if any problems are reported.....

EDIT: fixed "5.05" to "5.50". 5.50?? yikes, quite a jump.



later
don

No comments:

Blog Archive