Handheld Addict

PS VitaPSPPSPgoWii3DSDS LiteXboxGame Boy Micromp3 playersMobileGadgetsgeneral

Thursday, June 4, 2009

Star Wars Battlefront: Elite Squadron IGN impressions

So IGN posted some impressions on Star Wars Battlefront: Elite Squadron (PSP) and they called it a "mixed bag".

There's a nice feature where you can do a land battle, then fly up into space(cool!) but they complained that when switching from land to air, there's a cutscene. I dunno, that seems alright by me. I'd have to see how long the cutscene is, and is it a loading screen or what... but I'd expect that on the PSP.

Like the Star Wars movies, the Star Wars Battlefront games are somewhat critic-proof. At least in my mind. I'm a huge Star Wars fanboy, and Battlefront is my favourite series of video games. But I am listening to any criticisms, because at the end of the day, I want a good game.

This reminds me of when critics got a look at an early build of Star Wars Battlefront: Renegade Squadron. The early videos were really choppy, and looks "early". Normally I'm a huge fan of getting to see a game's development, because it keeps the hype machine going & builds excitement. But since then, I've had second thoughts... as those early videos really weren't indicative of the final game. The final game was MUCH SMOOTHER than those early vids, and the critical drubbing the game got based on them kinda hurt, I think.

I don't expect Star Wars Battlefront: Elite Squadron to reinvent the formula, and to the average gamer these games are probably in the 70% range.

Still, there certainly are sequels or spiritual ones, like Secret Agent Clank, which felt a bit rushed out the door after Ratchet & Clank: Size Matters. So it's entirely possible that Star Wars Battlefront: Elite Squadron might not be as polished as Renegade Squadron. But it's still very early to tell.



later
don

No comments:

Blog Archive