Handheld Addict

PS VitaPSPPSPgoWii3DSDS LiteXboxGame Boy Micromp3 playersMobileGadgetsgeneral

Tuesday, January 27, 2009

playing Secret Agent Clank


I was a bit harsh in my initial assessment of Secret Agent Clank last week.... I do still think that Ratchet & Clank: Size Matters is the better game of the 2.... but Secret Agent Clank, while rough around the edges, is proving to be a pretty fun experience.

I've been playing it quite a bit over the last week. Maybe because I'm aware of its flaws, I'm somehow more forgiving of the game, but really-- I haven't had any major frustration from it in all the hours of playing. So that's good.

Critics have been hard on the Ratchet missions, and for some reason very generous with the Quark ones. I have to say that both are not as bad as they were made out to be. True, they do distract from what we think is the main game-- Clank's missions-- but we have to look at this game as being more of an ensemble cast *starring* Clank but also Ratchet, Qwark, & the Gadgebots. Yes Clank is the star in this game (his name's on the box after all) but the other characters play major supporting roles. It varies the gameplay up between stealth/puzzle platforming, action, and, ummm more action, and more puzzle platforming. I find my PSP battery draining from all the gameplay... which is a sign of a good game (even though the PSP has a pretty short battery life)

Wish we could've gotten that cute Clank action figure in Canada, apparently only a GameStop preorder exclusive.

I've heard the final boss is really hard, so I'll probably go back & do some of the side missions, try to level up.



later
don

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's not too bad, but when I want my portable Ratchet fix, I still reach for Size Matters.

Don said...

I agree Size Matters is the better of the 2 games, but Secret Agent Clank is good for those who played the heck out of Size Matters & wants more of the franchise.


later
don

Anonymous said...

I didn't know much about the franchise when I bought this game and was really not impressed. It wasn't terrible but kinda... blah.

Don said...

I can see that. I've only really played Ratchet & Clank: Size Matters and Secret Agent Clank. I think they assume that people have played all the games back on the PS2. They should really approach it in a way that opens it up to players who are new to the franchise.

The game is fun, but there's not a whole lot bringing me back to replay it.



later
don

Blog Archive