Ok, we're finally getting the first glimpse of the often-promised Sony "goodwill program" for people with current (UMD drive) PSPs upgrading to a PSPgo:
From the EU PlayStation forum (posted by username Yaster):
The PSPgo rewards scheme will allow you to kick start your Go collection with a couple of free games for those who currently own an older PSP.
What you'll be able to do is download 3 games from a selection of 17, these can either be games from your current UMD collection or 3 new titles. The full list is as follows:
- Killzone Liberation
- Wipeout Pure
- Buzz Brain Bender
- Buzz Master Quiz
- SOCOM U.S. Navy SEALs: Fireteam Bravo
- Ratchet & Clank: Size Matters
- Everybody's Golf
- Resistance: Retribution
- Syphon Filter Dark Mirror
- Syphon Filter: Logan's Shadow
- Pursuit Force: Extreme Justice
The process of obtaining these titles is as follows
1. Unwrap your shiny new PSPgo and start it up
2. Connect to PlayStation®Network and activate your new or existing PlayStation Network account for PSPgo Rewards
3. Start up your current PSP and connect to PlayStation Network
4. Login using the same PlayStation Network account , and launch PlayStation®Store
5. Pop one of your UMDs into the drive of your current PSP and register on PSPgo Rewards when prompted
6. Download a PSPgo theme
7. Wait for your email voucher for your three free games
8. Choose, download and enjoy!
This is going to begin on 1 October 2009 and will run until 31 March 2010.
Hmmmm. This is almost exactly what I thought Sony's "Goodwill program" was going to be, only I thought it might be 4 games. 3 or 4... close enough.
It also combines the theory that having a UMD in a PSP while connected to the PSN is noticible by the PSN.... so it raises the question, can Sony tell any UMD game that is in the drive & running while connected to the PS Network? if so, then they *could* make EVERY PSP game available as a free download that you own, as long as they have it in digital form. So, in theory, PSP owners with a previous UMD game collection should be able to acquire digital versions of all/most their games. BUT.... that's IN THEORY.
Let's face REALITY. Sony's *not* going to make that happen. It's possible, but I'd fall over if it actually happened. The reality is that when the "Goodwill program" (notice how I keep using "" for that term) comes to North America, it will likely be similar/same as the Europe one, only a different list of available games.
So, is getting 3 "free" download games enough incentive for being an early adopter of the PSPgo? There's a lot of skepticism-- to put it mildly.... but I suppose 3 free games is better than none.
Just have to wait til October 1, 2009 before we know for sure what our "Goodwill program" will be.
UPDATE: Just saw this article at IGN that states Sony has no plans for a North America rewards program.